Some industrial applications have ponds and reservoirs similar to municipal ponds. Please see other sections of this website as well, including municipal wastewater, water reuse, lakes, and stormwater.
Energy-savings and water quality improvement opportunities with SolarBee and GridBee mixers: In wastewater treatment, the aeration system is often the largest energy consumer. In the past, the answer for every problem seemed to be to increase horsepower and add more aeration. When you analyze aeration, typically only 20% to 50% of the energy consumed is needed for production of DO, for the BOD and nitrification bacteria. The remaining energy is used for the mixing effect, to get the DO to the bacteria that need it.
Each GridBee or SolarBee mixer can typically displace up to 30-50 horsepower of surface aerator mixing (run-time). With the SB or GF performing the mixing, the aeration system can be dialed back to just provide the needed dissolved oxygen (DO). In most energy saving projects our equipment has a one- to three-year payback. With electric rates near $0.10 per kwh, savings can approach $750,000 per mixer over 25 years. More information is available in the white papers in the left column menu.
Many types of industrial water reservoirs have been improved by our GridBee and SolarBee long-distance mixers.
- Power plants, coal fired and nuclear
- Chemical manufacturing plants
- Paper plants
- Food manufacturing plants; juice, vegetables, wine, beer, milk, cheese, beef, and other plants
- Rendering plants
- Solid waste leachate ponds
- Superfund clean up lakes
- Mining ponds
- Eliminate blue-green algae issues in cooling lakes, stormwater ponds and reuse ponds
- Control odors in sludge storage ponds
- Distribute an oxidizer to provide an odor cap for anaerobic ponds
- De-gas sulfides continuously to eliminate odor in large deep ponds
- Distribute flocculation chemicals evenly in large reservoirs to settle heavy metals
- Reduce aeration and mixing energy in aerated ponds and basins
- Suspend solids better and reduce energy usage in complete mix ponds
- Replace aeration and generators in storm water ponds
- Improve mixing and reduce energy usage in complete mix ponds
- Increase evaporation in large cooling ponds, ponds with organic film on the surface, and salt production ponds
- Improve ammonia reduction in lagoon systems
- Prevent arsenic problems in anoxic sediment of various lakes
Tax benefits: A key advantage industrial users have in using solar-powered SolarBee equipment is that about 50% of the project is paid for by tax savings, including a 30% investment tax credit and accelerated depreciation. In most cases this reduces the solar-powered SolarBee equipment to about the same cost as GridBee equipment.
SolarBee SB Series solar mixers: SB Series mixers are designed to operate 24 hours per day on solar power, utilizing digital logic for power management, auto-reverse and anti-jam features. These mixers are most typically used where power is not available or when the ponds are large in size.
GridBee GF Series electric mixers: GF Series mixers are the same machines as the SB mixers without the solar equipment; they are designed to operate 24 hours per day on 120v electric power. These mixers cost less and are typically used where power is readily available or when the ponds are smaller in size.
GridBee AP Series Air-Powered Mixers: AP Series mixers combine patented circulation technology with a clog-free air-powered pump. They have no moving parts in the water and no electricity in the water. Learn more